Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Big Reveal

Hah! Finally here are the AFTER photos. If you're wondering what took so long, I needed to wait until my house was clean enough and clutter-free enough to actually be able to see the floor! (With Dan being in India for 10 days, things have been a bit crazy around here.)

All in all, I am so happy with how things turned out! We've been wanting to replace the floors for the past 5 years--ever since we moved in--and I think my patience has paid off.


The Family Room
Love this room--it's so comfy and has room for all of us to snuggle up and watch a movie! The paint on the whole main level is Berkshire Beige by Benjamin Moore. I was going for a "greige" (grey+beige) with a bit of warmth for all of my red accents.
My BFF, Remi, helped me arrange the black and white photo collage on the wall. She has such a great eye! What would I do without her?
Here is my old mission style entertainment center that I distressed, painted, and glazed. It was a crazy project that I burned the midnight oil working on last month when Dan was in the Ukraine. At one point I was in the garage painting at 1:00 AM when it was only 37-38 degrees! I was absolutely freezing and knew at that point that I had officially lost my mind. Luckily, the paint dried, despite the cold temperature, and the finished product is really fun! I replaced the hardware too and that completely changed the look. I love one-of-a-kind pieces--especially ones with a history.

The Powder Room
I kept most of my black accents for the powder room, but added in a few new pieces from Homegoods and the Design Shop in Luckets. The black and white harlequin-pattern floor mat really brings it all together! Don't you love the crystal knobs on the black shelf? I sewed some black and white check ribbon on the hand towels so they would hang on the knobs. The paint is Meditative Blue by Sherwin Williams.
The Entry Way

Here is a good shot of the flooring, going from the kitchen to the entry way. I fell in love with this flooring because of the 5 inch wide planks and the distressed nature of the wood--it has texture when you run your hand across it--as opposed to being a smooth plane. This also helps with the wear and tear with a family of six. If we get a scratch or a ding, I just get the black putty out and work it in, until it becomes part of the character of the floor.
Ronald painted the handrail black and the stair risers white and the flooring company sanded and stained each stair to match the floor. This was the most laborious part of the project, but I love how it turned out. Ronald also added the picture box molding in the entry way and the dining room.
 The views from upstairs looking down and downstairs looking up. Welcome to our happy home!

The Living Room

Same furniture and curtains--new crown molding and 5 inch molding on the base boards.

 The Dining Room

Added a rug under the dining room table to give the room a bit of warmth. Same table and red toile curtains that I made ten years ago. I still love them!

The Kitchen

Back to the heart of the home--the kitchen.

We knocked out a half wall that was separating the kitchen from the family room. Now that the flooring is seemless we have one, big open space and I love it! I shifted the kitchen table toward the family room and got a new pendant light from Lowe's. Still love, love, love my antique table from Luckets!


My other crazy project for this renovation was painting the kitchen island. I wanted a contrasting color to the cabinets and so I sanded, stained and distressed the island. This project evolved from day to day. I started with the same color as the powder room. "Hmmmm. Too muted." Then I painted over that with Rain by Sherwin Williams. This added a bit more green. I finished with just a touch of grey glaze.

I read in a home decorating magazine that every room should have an unexpected element. Here it is!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks great! I'm impressed with all of the refinishing and distressing you did. You have been very busy!!!

    ReplyDelete