Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today I turned 38 years young. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, since a few years ago I thought I was already at 40. Dan had to walk me through the math to convince me that I was aging myself prematurely. So 38 is good. I definitely would not want to go back to 28! Life was so mentally and emotionally taxing with little, little kids. Now the kids are medium kids and everyday life feels more manageable. However, I still agree with the statement: The years are short and the days are long.

So my birthday was a good day! It had the possibility of being a bit depressing: Dan is in Germany; it rained most of the day; only one of my children made me a birthday card. But I decided this morning it was all about attitude and I was not going to be a martyr! While I was getting ready, the doorbell rang and Susan Hicks was at the door with a giant sugar cookie--for the kids and an adorable Birthday gift basket--for me. So sweet! I love surprises! Then I headed off for Tysons Corner Center around 9:30 and shopped all morning. I found cute things at the Loft, Nordstrom, White House Black Market and Laila Row. The biggest bargain of the day were some adorable black ballet flats with a flower on each toe...$8.50 on clearance at Laila Row!
                                        Susan's surprise Birthday basket--almost too cute to open!

                                    Yes--it looks like my shopping day was a success!

I was home later with all of the kids and helping Syd with her piano when the doorbell rang. A delivery man was there with a Birthday balloon and a dozen, gourmet chocolate covered strawberries. Another surprise! This one from Dan the man. Yummy!

                         Who needs birthday cake when they have chocolate covered strawberries?

The best birthday present came from Mikelle and she doesn't even know it. She wrote a talk for her Young Women's New Beginnings program on integrity. Attending the program with her and watching her stand and bear her testimony of integrity and the importance of being true at all times was one of the best gifts I could ask for! I'm reminded of the scripture in the Bible that says, "I have no greater joy than to know my children walk in truth." (3 John 1:4) To see her sharing spiritual insights that she has learned made me pause and think...OK, she's headed in the right direction. She loves the Lord and wants to do what is right...this makes up for many mornings of drama and complaining. Thank you, Mikelle. This birthday present was just what this mom needed!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Stacie dear! You still look like you did 20 years ago. You are so beautiful and have a beautiful family. Glad you spoiled yourself a little. :)

    ReplyDelete