Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dan, Dan the Uber Handyman

Last week the kitchen sink sprung a leak. I noticed it on the top of the faucet, and then when Dan opened the cabinet underneath the sink we saw a recreation of Niagara Falls. So, Dan turned off the water and I was without a kitchen sink for a few days. At this point I really learned to appreciate that water coming out of the tap at the touch of a hand was, well,  just so handy! Trying to live without the kitchen sink was interesting. I filled my teapot from the bathroom sink; we ate on paper plates and used plastic silverware; I brought the water up from the food storage room and used that to wash the plastic silverware and pots and pans.

On Thursday night Dan finally had a few hours and he began the project of replacing the sink. Nothing is ever as easy as it might seem. First he discovered he needed a specific faucet wrench. No problem. Chris Caffrey had one that he could borrow. Then he discovered the sink had been installed incorrectly and he had to saw away most of the old pipes to remove the old faucet. We made a trip to Home Depot to purchase a new faucet and luckily the installation went according to the plan. He added a little plumbers putty and sealant and {Walah!} a new faucet!

I'm grateful for my hubby whose not afraid to tackle a household project and get his hands dirty in the process. "Hi dear! I'm adding plumbing to your resume of impressive skills!"

No comments:

Post a Comment