Monday, May 14, 2012

The Gluten-free Cake that Wasn't

Dan had a sad mishap trying to plan a huge surprise for Mother's Day. One of the biggest things I miss eating, since being diagnosed with a gluten allergy, is cake. Specifically carrot cake! When you can't eat flour, you just can't eat any yummy pastry type items: cookies, cakes, pies, brownies, donuts, cinnamon rolls etc. So my sweet husband went to a lot of expense and effort ordering a gluten-free carrot cake from a specialty bakery in New York. The item was shipped UPS overnight and was packed in dry ice. I was so excited to unpack it and had figured I would eat one slice each day until Mother's Day. Unfortunately when the cake arrived, I checked over the ingredients and it was NOT gluten free! I think when he was searching their website, he saw a few GF items and then assumed everything was. Naturally I was disappointed, but I was even more disappointed to have to tell him. He had gone to so much effort! Since it's the thought that counts, he had just as much of my love and appreciation as if the cake had been GF! I adore him because he went above and beyond to try to get something that I would love. What more could I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment